Monday, February 19, 2007

Alice in Wonderland

I was apprehensive to start reading Alice in Wonderland, because I have an irrational fear of the Disney movie adaptation of the story. Being away from home, and encountering unfriendly strangers was just not my six year-old cup of tea. Reading the story has been much more fun, because I am able to imagine things as I would want them, and add an extra element of fantasy to the story. I have heard rumors that the story is more or less inspired by an acid trip. As I have been reading, it seems that LSD is as good an inspiration for a fantasy story as anything else. In my personal opinion, I would say that fantasy stories are able to be held to a much more lenient standards than fairy tales, which makes them more fun to read and write. Are there rules for the plot of a fantasy, as there are for the Heroic Journey? Are fantasy stories simply fairy tales with fantastic elements thrown in? I am wondering--what makes the elements of a good fantasy story?

3 comments:

ncarron said...

As a child, I loved the Disney movie of Alice in Wonderland. Alice encountered interesting characters on her adventure. As I was reading the book, Alice and Wonderland, I noticed the similarities of the book that went along with the movie. But there were some parts that weren't familiar to me. So as I was reading, I was getting confused on what was going on. The plot wasn't too clear to me. Although, it was still interesting reading about her encounters with the many different characters she ran into. In my opinion, I liked the movie better than the book, I was getting bored towards the end of it and I was confused about parts. Such as the chapters The mock Turtle's story and The lobster-Quadrille, I was lost! It seemed like those chapters came out of no where since they weren't in the movie. I agree with the story being inspired by an acid trip, the story is very creative but very strange with very random events that take place. I do not think there are certain rules for a fantasy story. I think they tend to be more creative and different than fairy tales, where you don't expect a certain path or ending, it just catches you on surprise. I believe what makes a good fantasy story is that your imagination comes in which brings you more into the book.

Nicole said...

I love the Disney adaptation of Alice in Wonderland it's one of my favorites. The book was good but I liked the movie better. I agree with you, ncarron about certain parts being confusing and not making alot of sense. When they didn't correspond with the movie I was familar with. The acid trip being the basis for the story does seem to make sense because of all the fantastical elements in the story and the strange characters the Alice encountered. I don't think there are any rules. I think that there are more options when writing a fanstasy story then when you're writing a fairy tale. Fantasy books are better the more your imagination can elaborate the story for you and bring you into the world in which the story is told.

mpica said...

I agree with you. I really enjoy disney as well, exspecially Alice and Wonderland. I was in theater as a child and preformed skits from alice and wonderland as well as through the looking glass. Also as a child I offtin imagined myself as Alice when I would go through this local pansy garden back home. I really enjoy reading it now because I am given a chance to explor what I was not able to explor when I was a child. The thing that I feel is unique about both fantasy and fairy tales is that people view them in their own ways. I agree that there could be rules however I don't feel that there needs to be other than the standard elements of writting. They do however enhance and make a stronger story.