Sunday, March 11, 2007

Skellig

Skellig by David Almond was an interesting read. I am wondering what Skellig is. Is he an angel a man or a bird? This hasn’t been disclosed. I am leaning toward angel because of what he’s been doing and bringing about since Michael found him in the garage. I think my favorite character in the story has got to be Mina. She just helps Michael to understand so many things including what to do with Skellig. I find this book to be different from the other things we have read in class. Since the fantastical parts of the story are a part of the real world and this story is less fantasy with Skellig being the only fantastical character and him being like a guardian angel to Michael and the other people in Michael’s life. I found this book hard to put down and since it was an easy read for me I finished it in no time. So, as not to give away the ending of the book to those who haven’t finished it I will just bring in things from the first half. I like how they discuss the shoulder blades and what they are for. When Michael asks his mom what the shoulder blades are for she tells him that “They say that shoulder blades are where your wings were, when you were an angel. They say they’re where your wings will grow again one day.” (38-39) I loved this explanation and idea. I think it is a very good explanation of what shoulder blades are for and it goes along with the story of Skellig very well. This again brings back the question of what is Skellig, an angel bird or man. Perhaps he is a combination of one or more of these possibilities. I also love the concept of family in this story where they all stick together trough what has been happening with the baby. This book is very good. I’m happy I got to read it.

2 comments:

mpica said...

I really like this read. It has been the most differnt. This is the one story in the class that I am not really familar with. I have a fasanation with angels so I like to believe he is an angel as well. I like that this is an easy read and relates more the real life. This book kinda of remineds me of my family. We all tend to stick together exspecially when something really bad happens. I like that you bring up the question wheather he was an angel, bird or man. I kind of figured he was always an angel. It is really a good thought to ponder. I too really like this book. Both my sisters read it and thought that I would like it and I do. I can't wait the finish it.

Paula Tesch said...

I really enjoy that Skellig's identity is somewhat open ended. It allows children to formulate their own representation of him in their mind, and use their imagination to imagine what he looks like. Giving cryptic details about his appearance allows children to really pay attention to the details they are given, and fill in the blanks using their imagination. Although the story is fantastic, it ties in real issues with which children are faced. Michale provides a role model from which children can learn to cope with their own problems.